So There You Go - Sean O'Driscoll
Irish Tenor Banjo
Seán O’Driscoll hails from Blarney, County Cork and comes from a very musical family. His father was a respected accordion player, who along with his three brothers made up the well-known O’Driscoll Ceili band, who played widely throughout County Cork in the days before amplification.
Seán is one of the most versatile musicians playing Irish music today. Although he first gained recognition for his virtuoso banjo playing, he is equally adept on guitar, accordion, bouzouki and mandolin. His natural musical ability extends to composition with many excellent tunes and songs to his credit. Playing strictly by ear, his memory holds a massive repertoire.
Seán’s compositions have been recorded by Laurence Nugent and Kevin Burke among others.
Featuring many of his wonderful compositions, the banjo is shown in a variety of different musical combinations and styles. From the jolly honky-tonk feel of the double tracked banjo on the opening polkas, to the powerful banjo and bouzouki air of the ‘Dear Irish Boy’, this is a unique and beautiful recording.
Although the banjo is up front and centre at all times, there are duets with Larry Egan, his good friend from The Kitchen Recordings on accordion; with “The Admiral” Dave Hennessy on melodeon; and Patrick Egan on concertina.
The backup also spans a spectrum of styles. There are two very different piano approaches from Ciarán Coughlin and Maurice Crumb, and contrasting guitar backups from Donncha Moynihan and Johnny Neville. Seán also contributes much of his own distinctive bouzouki backing.
On the last track of the album, perhaps to remind us that he is a man of diverse musical talents and tastes, Seán switches to accordion for a lovely waltz of his own composition. Accompanied by John Daly on fiddle, Wilcil McDowell on piano and piano accordion, Lendrum’s Waltz is a deceptively simple gem that has already inspired some dancing in the kitchen.
1. The Saloon / Diamond Jim's / the Long Sleeve, Polkas (feat. Ciarán Coughlin) 2:51
2. The Comical Bargain / Bare Faced Lies, Reels 2:41
3. The Pikeman's March / the Eagle's Whistle, Marches 3:31
4. The Twin Cities / Winnie Haye's, Jigs 4:12
5. Well Now / You Might Be Right / Contrary Times, Reels (feat. Larry Egan, Donncha Moynihan) 3:37
6. The Dear Irish Boy, Air 3:35
7. Fifty in the Ashtray / Cnoc Na Gclárach, Slides (feat. Johnny Neville) 2:12
8. The Clare Hornpipe / Pol Halfpenny, Hornpipes 3:08
9. Kathleen Collins' / Paddy Cronin's / Rita Keane's, Reels (feat. Patrick Egan) 2:44
10. Smoke and Mirrors / the Cloak-and-Dagger, Jigs (feat. Maurice Crumb) 3:22
11. Farewell to Whisky / the Gypsy Queen, Barndances (feat. Dave Hennessy) 2:48
12. Lendrum's Waltz (feat. John Daly, Wilcil McDowell) 2:38