The Bonny Men
The Bonny Men - The Bonny Men
NPU CD 2012
Moss Landman - flute,
Maitiú Ó Casaide - uilleann pipes,
Conor Lyons - bodhrán,
Natalie Ní Chasaide - piano,
Turlough Chambers - fiddle,
Adam Whelan -
Barry Lyons - guitar and
Íde Nic Mhathúna vocals.
Guest singers are:
Róisín Chambers, Joey Doyle and Aido Lawlor.
In the ten months that The Bonny Men have been together, they have emerged as the most talked about, and exciting young band to emerge from the trad/folk scene in Ireland.
Their debut album, self entitled The Bonny Men, was recorded live over four days in the internationally renowned Windmill Lane Recording Studios. This album captures the raw energy and life with which these young musicians play music. Described as " a complete breath of fresh air", and " an album that would remind you of the explosive power of The Bothy Band", this album has all the hallmarks of an instant classic.
Their unique sound features two sets of siblings, both from well known musical families. Barry Lyons takes on the role of guitar, while on bodhrán is his brother Conor, twice winner of the World Bodhrán Championships. On uilleann pipes is Oireachtas champion Maitiú Ó Casaide and his younger sister Natalie plays the piano. All-Ireland winner Moss Landman is on flute, Turlough Chambers is on fiddle and Adam Whelan is on bouzouki.
The Bonny Men are joined by by renowned singers Íde Nic Mhathúna, Róisín Chambers, Joey Doyle and Aido Lawlor for this album. The different singing styles give the album a good balance between the old and the more contemporary with two original compositions and songs in both Irish and English. Adding to this, all band members are adept at backing vocals and harmonies, giving each song they sing a full wall of sound.
1. The Jigs - The Boys of Tanderagee/The First Slip/ Moll Rua/ The Yellow Wattle
2. The A MInor Set - Larry's Favourite/ Within A MIle of Dublin/ The Ballaghdereen Fair/ The Jolly Tinker
3. Dig a Well (Song by Joey Doyle)
4. The Slow Jigs - Elizabeth Kelly's Delight/ Ellizabeth Kelly's
5. The Slides - The Worn Torn Petticoat/ The Whole Chicken in the Soup/ The Cat Jumped into the Mouses Hole and Dindn't Come Out til Morning/ THE OUTLAW
6. Morcambe Bay (Song by Aido Lawlor)
7. Mullinavat - Caher Rua/ The Kilcloon/ The Reel of Mullinavat
8. Planxty - Planxty Charles O Connor/ The King of the Pipers/ Cnoc an Teampaill
9. Caoineadh na dtrí Mhuire (Song by Róisín Chambers)
10. Harvest Moon - The Happy Days of Easter/ Rising Sun/ Pretty Girls of Mayo/ Harvest Moon
11. The Hop Jigs - Comb Your Hair and Curl It/ Shaving Baby With a Spoon/ Cucanandy
12. The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Song by Íde Nic Mhathuna)